African herbs for weight loss
People around the world use African herbs for weight loss.
Most of us know that herbal teas are good for health. They are loaded with antioxidants and other properties that promote overall health and lower your risk of diseases such as cancer, heart disease, etc. Drinking tea helps boost your metabolism and detoxifies your system. Studies have found that consuming tea, particularly green tea, may improve weight loss and help fight belly fat.
The reason why consuming herbal tea may be especially beneficial if you’re trying to shed the pounds is that it is a very low-calorie beverage. Besides being rich in antioxidants, herbal teas, which are made using a variety of different herbs, contain anti-obesity properties that help reduce your appetite, increase your metabolic rate and prevent the body from forming new fat cells.
Together with daily exercise and following a low fat diet you can lose weight.
Below is the list of African herbs for weight loss to burn fat faster and make you slim in no time.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is a stemless plant that has fleshy leaves. The flesh of the leaves have a gel like consistency and is used to treat skin and hair problems, gut problems, and also aids weight loss. It has antioxidants that help detoxify and clean your body, boosts metabolism, and vitamins that help in proper functioning of the body. You can take 1-2 teaspoons of aloe vera extract every day. Or you can scoop out the aloe vera gel from the leaf and mix it with your morning juice or smoothie.
- Turmeric – According to a 2009 study by Tufts University, turmeric can help your body burn fat. In the study, there were two groups of mice, one was fed curcumin while the other wasn’t. The results were that the group of mice that had curcumin lost more weight than the other group that did not have it. Turmeric is a warming spice, it increases the body heat which can boost your metabolism and provide other health benefits.
- Hoodia – Pure Hoodia is known and backed as an effective African herbs for weight loss aid. It is used by hunters within the desert regions of Africa because it helps to reduce cravings while allowing the user to cut down on calories without feeling starved. There are quite a few weight loss supplements on the market that use the Hoodia name, so be advised to check that it is genuine before ingesting. A chemical called P57 in hoodia is the component thought to be responsible for the appetite suppressant effects.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is said to curb hunger cravings, control blood sugar level and make you feel fuller for longer. You can add cinnamon to your oatmeal, mix it in yoghurt or put it in your tea. It is also a great addition to meat and chicken. You can take 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon in powdered form or 1 cinnamon bark soaked in water overnight. Drink cinnamon infused water first thing in the morning every day for four weeks to get desired results.
- Ginseng – Ginseng is a slow-growing perennial plant that has fleshy roots. This plant mostly grows in cooler regions such as China, Bhutan, North America, Korea, and eastern Siberia. It has been used as a medicine by the Chinese for centuries. Research shows that ginseng can be used to treat stress, diabetes, lower cholesterol, and regulate blood sugar levels. Stress, unregulated blood sugar, and high cholesterol are all contributors to bad health and weight gain. Ginseng also helps to boost your metabolism and keeps your energy levels high throughout the day. Therefore, drinking ginseng tea will take care of the leading causes of weight gain.
- Hibiscus Tea – Hibiscus tea, the vermillion colored hibiscus flower extract, helps in weight loss by getting rid of excess water in the body. Hibiscus has diuretic properties and helps to prevent bloating. It contains an enzyme called, phaseolamin that inhibits the production of another enzyme, amylase. Amylase helps to break down carbs into sugar molecules. And therefore by limiting the production of amylase, phaseolamin reduces carb absorption by the body. Moreover, hibiscus tea is low in calories and increases satiety. 1 cup hibiscus tea contains approximately 1.5 g hibiscus calyx. You can have 2 cups of hibiscus tea per day.
- Cayenne pepper – Cayenne pepper raises the body temperature which boosts your metabolism. The higher the metabolism, the more calorie you burn. Adding this spice to your meal can help you burn up to 100 calories per meal. You can sprinkle cayenne pepper on nuts, soup, eggs and dips for that extra kick.
- Green Tea – Undoubtedly green tea is always the best herbal tea for weight loss. It is rich in antioxidants called catechins. One of the catechins known as the Epigallocatechin gallate is a metabolism booster. Also, though green tea contains caffeine in lesser amounts when compared to coffee, caffeine helps to stimulate fat burning and better muscle performance. Green tea is also an excellent appetite suppressor which will curb cravings and make you eat less if you consume it 30 minutes before a meal. It is best that you use the green tea leaves to prepare a cup of tea. You can have as many as 4 cups of green tea per day. The best way is to drink a cup of green tea 20-30 minutes before a meal.
- Cumin – Adding one tablespoon of cumin seeds to all your primary meals every day can help you burn three times more fat, says a recent study conducted on overweight women. Also, cumin adds great flavour to your food. You can add it to almost everything, including soups, dressings, veggies, pulses and bread.
- Ginger – Ginger boosts metabolism by 20% that speeds up calorie burning process. Ginger helps to control blood sugar level, which means it can prevent a spike in your glucose levels after taking a carb or a sugar rich diet. Same like turmeric and cayenne pepper, ginger also has thermogenic (fat-burning) property. Add it to your tea, salads, fish, fruits and more. Ginger is also shown to have active appetite-suppressant characteristics, which ensure that you don’t gorge on food.
- Rosemary – Rosemary helps to increase your metabolic rate. It also aids digestion and weight loss. These green pointed leaves are to be soaked in boiling water for a few minutes. The strained water can be consumed lukewarm at any time of the day but not empty stomach.
- Cardamom – Cardamom, also called elaichi, is a popular Indian spice with a unique flavour. It is thermogenic in nature and that is why it helps you in losing weight. It also prevents the formation of gas, which makes you feel bloated and uneasy. You can add a pinch or two of cardamom powder to your food to lose weight faster.
- Black pepper – When we are speaking of pepper, let’s not forget black pepper. A cousin of the Cayenne Pepper, the Black pepper is rich in piperine. Piperine is what gives black pepper its characteristic flavor. One of its characteristics is to inhibit the creation of fat cells, which help reduce weight. You can combine Black and Cayenne Pepper to speed up the fat burning process.
- Chamomile Tea – Obtained from the flowers of M chamomilla, chamomile tea is loaded with antioxidants and beneficial nutrients, including anti-obesity properties. The tea has anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, sleep-inducing, and anti-anxiety properties. Hence, drinking this herbal tea can help promote sleep, relieve anxiety and depression, which can cause overeating and result in weight gain.
- Peppermint tea – A delicious and refreshing beverage, peppermint tea has soothing and calming effects on your system, which help reduce stress and keep the body on track. Remember, stress can hamper your metabolism and disrupt your weight loss efforts. The strong aroma of peppermint tea can also help suppress appetite, which is vital for promoting fat loss. Since peppermint contains volatile compounds, such as menthol, menthone, hesperidin, luteolin, and eriocitrin, drinking this tea can help improve health in a number of ways.
- Devil’s claw – In supplement form, devil’s claw is derived from the dried roots of the plant. African and European traditional and folk doctors have prescribed devil’s claw for centuries to treat digestive ills, reduce fever, relieve pain and to treat certain pregnancy symptoms.The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties of devil’s claw may be useful as a supplementary treatment for these diseases, including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Dandelions – Dandelions have shown to slow down the digestive process. This ensures that you feel full for a longer time, which in turn ensures that you don’t have too much to eat too often. Dandelions are rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals and Vitamin K1. They also contain beta-carotene, which attacks free radicals and helps protect your liver.
- African Mango – Extract from these mango seeds, when ingested, can significantly reduce body fat, body weight and waist circumference. Additionally, it can have a positive impact on the overall health of the heart like bringing LDL cholesterol to normal level, leptin levels and blood glucose levels normalizing too. All of these factors were changed without altering a normal diet or exercise routine. Other studies have shown individuals losing about 8 to 10 pounds without altering their lifestyle changes as well.
- Gotu Kola – Gotu kola, also known as Centella asiatica, has been used in Ayurveda and Chinese medicine since ages. It is extremely helpful in treating stress, depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s, improves memory and blood circulation. Gotu kola can also be consumed to prevent urinary tract infection, common cold, influenza, and tuberculosis.
- Sceletium – In 1977, the CSIR isolated what was believed to be the plant’s active weight-loss ingredient – P57, a complex sugar within H. gordonii – and patented it in 1996, unbeknown to the Bushmen. Hoodia hit international headlines when the Bushmen discovered their knowledge had been licenced to a British pharmaceutical development company, Phytopharm, without their consent. In 2010, the commercialisation rights were returned to the CSIR, which brokered a benefit-sharing deal with the Bushmen.
As you can see, there are many African herbs for weight loss.
By incorporating some of the African herbs mentioned above into your daily diet, you can start losing weight sooner than later.
Keep in mind that it may take some time and effort, but will all be worth it in the end if done properly.