10 Wonderful Cardamom Benefits
Cardamom doesn’t just belong in a food dish for flavour. It also has medicinal benefits.
- Cures cough and cold: “Cardamom is packed with antioxidants. There are two kinds of cardamoms, green and black. Black cardamoms help in curing colds and cough and certain respiratory problems,” shares Bangalore-based Nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood. Steep some pods in water along with honey and drink this cardamom tea as an effective natural remedy for flu. It imparts warmth to the body.
- Aids digestion: Due to its strong aroma, it helps in activating our taste and sensory elements and thus, aid digestion. “This enables the secretion of enzymes effective for digestion especially if consumed after heavy meals,” says Dr. Tyagi. Cardamom is good for curing stomach problems like indigestion, gas and constipation. Cardamom contains chemicals that are known to increase the movement of food through the intestine.
- Prevents bad breath: The floral and sweet aroma of cardamoms makes it a natural breath freshener. A major component of cardamom oil called cineole is known for its antimicrobial properties that promote oral hygiene and it also fights bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Lowers high blood pressure: In his book, “The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies”, Dr. Vasant Lad suggests that having a concoction of a teaspoon coriander and one pinch of cardamom mixed with 1 cup of freshly squeezed peach juice can help bring down high blood pressure. Therefore, it is known to be a heart-friendly spice.
- Secret to longevity: According to Chinese tradition, drinking cardamom tea is known to be the secret to longevity. Cardamon tea helps in flushing out toxins and keeps your internal systems clean. Ayurveda Expert Dr. Ashutosh Gautam suggests that cardamom is one such spice that must be consumed on a daily basis in order to stay healthy and increase your life span.
- Boosts blood circulation: Known to increase the blood circulation in your body and especially to your lungs and so, is often used as a natural remedy for respiratory disorders. It maintains vitality and keeps your energy levels up.
- Regulates your blood sugar levels: Black cardamom is often touted as an effective remedy for treating high blood sugar levels. Rich in manganese which helps in controlling blood sugar levels in the body.
- Supports weight loss: Boosts energy metabolism and helps the body burn more fat efficiently.
- Treats sleep trouble: Inhaling the sweet and soothing aroma of cardamom essential oil may help in treating sleep issues such as insomnia, restlessness, and anxiety.
- Balances the doshas: According to Ayurveda, cardamom is an important spice which is tridoshic which means that helps in balancing all the three doshas – Vatta, Pitta and Kapha in our body. It has significant warming properties that are soothing for your body. It is also believed in Ayurveda that the excess build-up of ‘ama’, a sticky substance that blocks normal circulation and lowers energy levels, leads to various diseases. Cardamom helps in preventing its accumulation and thus, reduces its negative impact.